Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rainbow Rocks Rolls and Rages!

Some file footage of 'Fix-it' Felix showing that
when pushing hard, the Rainbow Rage
can be somewhat exhausting!!

One of the must do races in NZ would have to be the annual Rainbow Rage run by Mike Gane from Stoke Cycles. The atmosphere there is one of the best to be found, with everyone from harry hardout to nevil newbie in it for the challenge of a 106km off road adventure though some breathtaking and historic scenery.
Our friend Neil Ellis , a downhill demon from Krank Dirtwear tackled the route for the first time, and his report on the experience is top notch! He scored a terrific result for a first timer, pulling off 6th in his grade and 20th overall. Czech his report below....

"....I didn't know what to expect to be honest and I was wondering what the hell I was doing there on the starting line. Then Mike did the rolling start which was really cool, chatting with some of the other riders and everyone juggling for position as we rode behind the ute. Then the race was away, all these guys were riding in small groups doing small spurts. I just ignored all that stuff and rode how I felt I could handle right to the end.
Then we got to the shingle and the roadies slowed about 10%. That’s where the fun began. Picking off riders one by one all the way to about 10k's from Island Saddle, where the quad muscles started to cramp. I was thinking there is no way I'm giving up or not making it to the end so had to back off just slightly to make it home. I rode from Island Saddle to Hanmer on my own with a tail wind. It must have been good for about 50k's an hour most of the way.
You wouldn't read about it though 100k's almost to the end and two guys got
past me. They had pulled a good half to one k lead on me heading into Jacks, but I got past the first guy just after the water tank and the second on the next bend going right around the outside of him. I then proceeded to pedal my ring out till the end. There was NO WAY they were getting past me again. That last minute tussle made my day!! Ending with some adrenaline. All in all it felt really great to have finished and done the race. I'd have to say it was fun in a sick kind of way...."

Mountain Pedaler out....


No comments: